Baseball Diamond News

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Ryno!!!!!

Sorry for this being late, but this snow here in Chicago has even delayed my writing.

I would love to congratulate Ryne Sandberg for his HoF success. On Tuesday it was announced that Ryne had made the jump he needed to enter the HoF along Wade Boggs. Unfortunately, the 3 other guys I thought deserved to be elected in did not make it: "Goose" Gossage, Bert Blyleven, Bruce Sutter. All 3 of those guys garnered more votes this year than they have in the past and with the 2006 1st balloters pretty weak, their chances are pretty good that like Ryne they can make jump in votes also.

I remember the day the Cubs acquired Ryne Sandberg I was in my living room with my dad reading the Chicago Tribune. It had said the Cubs traded Ivan DeJesus for Larry Bowa and Ryne Sandberg. I was upset because as an 8 year old my ability to scout wasn't the greatest and I thought Ivan was the man (though he hit .194/.233/.274). My dad went on to tell me that getting Larry Bowa would help out our defense (though now that I am older I know that his error rating was so good because he couldn't get to any balls). There was no mention of Sandberg besides him being more of a throw in with the trade.

Well how wrong were my dad, me and the Phillies (thanks Phillies). Ryne provided us with 15 great seasons of baseball. In those years he hit, played defense, and was the ideal citizen. I remember being at my buddy Adam's house back in 84 and watching that game against the Cardinals in which he hit 2 hr's and the Cubs eventually went on to win it. Moments like these happened throughout his career.

Once again Ryne Sandberg Congratulations from all the Cub fans and baseball fans in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory