Baseball Diamond News

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Dempster- What are the Cubs thinking?

Well I still don't understand putting Dempster in the pen. My philosophy is that if your starters can't keep you in the game why do you need a closer? What really gets me is that Dempster was suppose to start on Monday and it wasn't until Sunday that the Cubs decided to drop him from the start and put him in pen. This would be ok, but they had no one to start for them and in the minors the only guy ready to start was Leceister. Wouldn't it have been smarter to let Dempster start Monday and then with the day off on Wednesday he might have been ready on Thursday as long as Baker kept the pitch count down on Monday (but that would make too much sense). Well we know the results of what happened in that game, he gave up some early runs and the Cubs never got back into it. Then in mop-up duty Dempster got hid hard. Then the next day Dempster goes in for the save opportunity and blows it. I have a feeling we will see a lot more of that from Dempster also. I know teams would love to find the next Eckersley or Gagne, but Ryan Dempster will become neither of them.
Now I don't know who to blame for this decision, Dusty Baker or the wonderful (sarcastic) GM Hendry. I am thinking that Hendry had some say in the matter, but I also have the feeling Dusty had no objections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory