Baseball Diamond News

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

3 in a row

I went to the game again tonight thanks to my buddy John again. I am very excited that I got to see Clemens pitch tonight as this might be the last time I get to see him live and he was as masterful as ever. Unfortunately for him and for me (but not the Cubs) Clemens had to leave after the 5th inning with a tightness in his right groin. I hope he is ok because even though he is not getting wins, he is having one of the best seasons ever for a starting pitcher minus the run support. Clemens has pitched 68 innings this year, given up 41 hits, 19 walks, has 69 k’s and now an 1.19 ERA, but is only 3-2 to show for it.

When I saw the starting lineup I didn't understand why Corey wasn't starting after getting a hit in his last 5 at-bats until I heard that his hand was sore from the collision. The result of this was that both Enrique Wilson and Nefi Perez both had to start and the offense struggled to get going until the 8th inning.
The Cubs got lucky to overcome 2 bad defensive plays in the 4th inning. First Jason Dubois looked awful on the fly ball hit by Biggio that ended up a double. Jason is not known for his defense, but he needs to learn where the wall is and be less afraid, that is a ball that should have been caught. To defend him though, Moises Alou would have most likely missed that ball also. Then 2 batters later with 1 out and Biggio on second and Todd Self on third, Mike Lamb hit a grounder to Derek Lee and instead of taking the sure out at 1st, Lee threw home and Self was safe by a mile. If Lee had taken the sure out the inning would have been over with the next better, but instead Biggio scored on Ensberg's ground out.
I have to give props again to Jeromy Burnitz as he came through in the clutch again getting a base hit to give the Cubs the lead for the 2nd night in a row. He is another player that has exceeded my expectations and in the next few days, I am going to finish my article I have been writing on him vs. Sammy this year.

1 Comments:

  • Man, Dubois did look ugly on that play. He looked lost when he jumped, totally unathletic. I bet he can't hoop to save his life.

    He can hit, but that's all he can do. Well, and K a lot so far. Can't they just make him shag 1000 fly balls a day or something?

    Well, memories of that ball going off Hollandsworth's head in Spring Training doesn't exactly bring "Gold Glove" to mind either. And, as you said, Alou was no master out there either.

    Hmmm... I sense a pattern.

    I'm all for the three in a row, however. That, and please bar Jeff Gordon from "Wrigley Stadium".

    By Blogger Graham, at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory