Baseball Diamond News

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Cubs Ramblings: Trade front, FA front, thoughts on Furcal

The other night I was talking with my friend and we were mentioning how the Cubs need another utility guy that actually can play. I brought up the name Ryan Freel (as I have him on a few fantasy teams), but really had not thought much about it. Today at The Cub Reporter there is an article by Arizona Phil who mentions the same thing with much more thought. After reading his article the more I think a trade with the Reds is the right way to go. I think that acquiring Freel would help out in CF if we don't get Pierre or if we do be a super-sub/2b for us. Also depending on the price this might open up talks for the Cubs to acquire Austin Kearns. I know in the past he has been injury prone and hasn't gotten off the greatest career start, but I think a change of scenery is what he needs and maybe Chicago is the place for him to be.

My thoughts on not getting Furcal go like this: first I was a little disappointed and then after those 5 minutes passed I was very happy that the Cubs did not cave in and try to beat that contract. I think the contract that the Cubs offered was a bit much, let alone the price the Dodgers got him at. The player the Cubs should try to trade for (if they don't have confidence in Cedeno at SS) is Julio Lugo from Tampa. I think he would be a nice fit at SS for the Cubs and gives them some speed to the lineup and for a SS Lugo has a little bit of pop in his bat.

John Mabry situation hasn't been finalized and the reason I think is the Cubs are waiting until after Rule 5 draft and also waiting until after the 7th to not lose a pick (if they lose one for signing him not sure). I can say this, that though Mabry is an upgrade over the Cubs bench last year, he has had as many off seasons as he has had average and only about 1 above average season. So while I said he is an upgrade, by no means is he a cure for the bench woes, especially if you have Perez, Blanco, and Macias coming off that bench.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory