Baseball Diamond News

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cubs Thoughts: Milwaukee games and Opening day

I have not posted in a few days and that is because I have been going to many Cubs games and Easter Day falling in there. I went to Milwaukee this weekend to see the games on Friday and Saturday night and got to see the Cubs win both games. I have never been to Miller Park with the roof closed and I must say it is nice and warm in there when it is. Another tip is if you ever go there and stay in a hotel take a Cab to stadium, the longest time ever to park a car there.
Getting back to the games, it was nice to see that Zambrano looked sharp and so did Rich Hill. The hitting looked good overall and the defense wasn't too bad. The 3rd game, I watched at my folks house and it wasn't as nice. Wade Miller looked less then sharp and has had his next start pushed back to April 18 and if he doesn't do good there I don't think we will see much of him as a starter anymore (which isn't a bad thing).
Yesterday I went to opening day (20th time in 22 years)with my old pal Tracy Legel and got to watch the Cubs lose the game in the 8th inning. My biggest complaint is why do you make a double switch and then not leave Wuertz to pitch the 8th inning? When I saw the double switch take place I was sure Wuertz was in the game for 2 innings, but Lou decided that he should go with Howry who has not looked sharp yet and hopefully comes around. Then with a 3-2 count lets Adam Everett hit a 2-run homer, a guy who has a career slugging percentage of .363. Besides that decision the Cubs had plenty of opportunities to score runs, but couldn't get the clutch hit(s) they needed. I am hoping this doesn't become a theme again this season as it got very tiring to watch last year.
As I write this article, the Cubs are losing 3-0 to the Astros.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory