Baseball Diamond News

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Izturis Traded

Today the Cubs traded Cesar Izturis and cash considerations to the Pirates for a player to be named later. To take his spot Jake Fox has been brought up instead of Matt Murton who still is failing to impress management. I still think Matt Murton is more ready than Jake Fox, but the Cubs feel that Jake has shown more. In the minors Murton who got off to a slow start has been hitting the ball well enough to get his batting line up to .311/.394./.538 which to me is pretty good and as anyone that reads this knows I think he has a great swing.
While I am happy in dumping Izturis, I have to say, bringing up Fox doesn't really improve the roster and I am still not sure what Jim Hendry plan is for the stretch run for the Cubs. They seem to need more power and another righty bat off the bench because while Ward has been hitting for average, he has not been hitting any homers. This then leaves it up to Fontenot, Pagan, and Hill to provide power, which none really provide. I also understand Fox has some power and I like his potential, I just don't think he is ready to help the Cubs who have been showing some life since June.

Funny fact about the trade, Izturis was actually in the starting lineup and on the field for batting practice today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory