Baseball Diamond News

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cubs win in Houston

WHOA!!! The Cubs actually held on and won last night. I was watching the game and as Dumpster gave up that triple I was thinking I was going to get to write a column on how he let the Cubs down and how they were blowing their chances. Well they won, but let me tell you I still think that he is not an adequete closer for a playoff team and if despite winning last night, they still are blowing their chances. The can't win a series vs the Pirates and if they don't win tonight it will be 2x in a row going to Houston in key situations and not winning either series.
On that triple Dempster gave up, it should have been a double, but I don't know what Felix Pie was thinking or doing when he over ran the ball by a few feet. That was just awful and almost cost the Cubs the game.
Rich Hill came out and looked impressive after a slow start in inning 1. This is the type of game Rich needed and hopefully it will bring him more confidence as lately he has looked liked he has lost a little of the confidence he had earlier this season. If the Cubs can get Rich back on track, I think they will be in good shape this last month.

The Cubs are currently tied with the Brewers for 1st and the Cardinals are now 4 games back. After tonight the Cubs play the Cardinals in St. Louis in a vital 3 game series. I know I say a lot of series are important or vital, but if the Cubs can manage a sweep the Cardinals will all be but eliminated from contention as they have already lost 6 in a row and that would put them at least 6 games out of 1st. If the Cubs win 2 out of 3 the Cardinals will still have a chance, but will be left with no room for error. I have to say I like the fact that Pinella switched the rotation to let Zambrano pitch against the Cardinals and Trachsel against the Astros.

3 Comments:

  • The Cubs and Cards play a 4 game series this weekend. There's a double header on Saturday. It's the make up game from Josh Hancock dieing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

  • I felt the same last night...Is this the game that starts the run? Or is this the newest stretch of heartache?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 PM  

  • You are correct, I forgot about that game.

    By Blogger Greg Abcarian, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory