Baseball Diamond News

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Opening Day Cubs

Well for the 1st time since 1993 and only the 3rd time since 1984, I have not purchased the Cubs home opener tickets. I might look on Ebay or even pay a scalper above ticket price to go, but at the moment it looks as if I am not going to go. This is one day of the year I always look forward to. It started way back in 1984, the first year I skipped school and took the Green line down town to the Red line and then to the opener. After that day I told myself to try to make home openers at all costs. For the next 6 years it was smooth sailing nothing got in my way of going to the games, that is until I went away to school. I went away to high school and the next 2 years I could not attend because I was not allowed to leave in middle of week to go back to Chicago and it usually conflicted with some high school sporting event I was involved in. Then in 1993 I figured I was set and nothing would stop me from going to the games as I was in college and my own boss. Well I was wrong there also. I had a religion teacher (who I swear was the devil) and she was a wicked old lady, and gave us a test that day and would not let me take it a day earlier or later and since it was half our grade I had to stay and take the test instead of going to game. After that class I made another vow to myself to not miss anymore openers and I made good on that vow, until now it looks like. I would love to go to the opener, but I did not feel like trying to beat out all the fair-weather fans getting bracelets and the scalpers flooding the phones and internet this year. So what will I be doing for the opener this year? Well if I don’t break down and get tickets, I can guarantee that I will be on my couch with Carl and Butkus (my 2 ½ year old Rottweiler and 10 month old English Mastiff) watching the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory