Baseball Diamond News

Monday, October 16, 2006

Reportedly: Lou signs 3 year deal

Sorry about not writing again, school, work and baby keep me busy. Also this last weekend I was in Detroit at the playoff games, what a blast. Hopefully the Cubs can make it back again sometime soon.

Espn is reporting that Lou Pinella will sign a 3 year deal with the Cubs. I am happy that the Cubs are getting a proven manager, but is Lou the right guy?
I know he has great credentials, but when he was in Tampa Bay he did nothing and yes I understand that the D-rays spent no money for him down there. I'd rather the Cubs spend money like the D-rays, then hand out contracts to Rusch, Perez, Macias and Dempster, like they have the past few years (and that is only to name a few). The Cubs are going to be a young team unless management has decided to go and try and sign Soriano for LF/2b and Zito for SP and then get another SP because 1 isn't going to be enough, and don't forget a closer. If they don't do that, then this team will really show what Lou is made of because like Dusty he has tendency to play veterans over younger guys (time to get old fast Murton). Also like Dusty, pitch count be damned, which sooner or later will catch up to Zambrano's arm, it did to Wood and Prior.
Saying all that, I do have to say I am happy to get a coach like Lou as I think he will fit in better with the organization then Dusty has over the last 2 years of his contract. Also hopefully he can help the younger guys develop more and play them on a consistent basis (and not alter all their mechanics). So if the report is true and you sign Lou, good luck.
Who would I have signed?
I would have signed either Bruce Bochy (if it was possible without costing the Cubs to do) or Joe Girardi. I think Girardi would have been a better fit with the Cubs, plus he know the organization and knows why it fails (after achieving a lot of success outside of Chicago). Maybe he could have turned this team around, but it looks like the Cub fans will never know (at least for the next 3 years).

1 Comments:

  • I'm with you on Girardi. It would have been nice to see a veteran Cub leading the team. Oh, and he signed my mitt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory