Baseball Diamond News

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Cubs improving

It was about 2 weeks ago when I was in the midst of chaos in the house that I talked to my buddy Mike Marron on the phone and we were both convinced that the Cubs would not see .500 again this year. They were playing fundamentally unsound and not doing the little things that needed to be done (almost a repeat of last year). I told Mike I didn't expect to see improvement in the team until next year because it takes a while for a team to relearn the fundamentals. I compared it to playing basketball and then not playing it for 4 years and the trying to play again. In your mind you might know exactly what to do, but translating that to performance is a different story. I don't think the Cub players have forgotten the fundamentals, but I think under Dusty Baker they weren't practiced or preached for so long it will take some time getting them back and being able to translate those fundamentals into wins.
Since that talk the Cubs for the most part have proven me wrong by winning 9 of their last 11 and should have won the extra inning game verse Pittsburgh, but failed to get a run in with no outs in the 8th and then blew the lead in the 9th (along with many other problems that game). I am hoping that the team is learning from Lou that if you do the little things that the wins will come. If the team continues on this pace, I might be owing my buddy a nice dinner, but it will be one bet I don't mind losing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory